Moissanite and diamonds are fundamentally different. One of them is man-made and the other is naturally generated. Of course, the value is also different. In terms of properties and characteristics, there are also many differences between Moissanite and diamonds, such as hardness, fire, refractive index, etc. The following describes the differences between Moissanite and diamonds in detail.
Difference between Moissanite and diamond
1. Price: The price difference between Moissanite and diamonds is obvious, and the price of Moissanite is only 1/10 of that of diamonds.
The price of ordinary diamonds is determined according to the quality of the diamond. The price of a one-carat diamond on the market ranges from $4,000 to $5,000. The price of a one-carat Moissanite diamond is generally not more than $600.
2. Hardness: Diamond is the hardest gemstone in nature, with a hardness of 10 on the Mohs scale. Moissanite is slightly less hard, at 9.25 on the Mohs scale.
Therefore, the diamond hardness tester will leave traces on the Moissanite surface, but the engraving tester will not leave traces on the diamond surface.
3. Inclusions: Natural diamonds generally have some unavoidable natural flaws, and there are various types of inclusions and external features. Moissanite is formed in a special laboratory to simulate the instantaneous high temperature generated when a meteorite hits the earth's surface, and has naturally occurring needle-shaped inclusions.
4. Conductivity: Moissanite is an electrical conductor, while diamonds are generally not conductive.
5. Refractive index (fire): Due to the different crystal structure, Moissanite has double refraction, while diamond is single refraction, so the fire of Moissanite is more dazzling than diamond. Diamond fire is generally blue and orange, while moissanite has more fire colors and looks dazzling.
In terms of fire, someone once said that Moissanite looks like a beauty with heavy makeup, while diamonds are like cold fairies.
6. Cutting: Most cut moissanite has blunt ridges, which are completely different from diamonds with sharp ridges. Zooming in on diamonds and Moissanite drills, you can tell the difference between the edge cutting lines of the two.
7. Significance: Most people buy diamonds because the nature of diamonds is the closest to love. Its hard quality symbolizes people’s expectations for love, which is eternal and unchanging. Therefore, diamonds are also the best tokens of marriage proposal for modern people. The meaning of Moissanite should be a helpless choice under economic constraints. Most of them will replace it with diamonds after the economic conditions improve.
Apart from the above, Moissanite is actually a commercial name, and it is also meant to be closer to diamonds, thereby increasing its value. Moissanite, a synthetic imitation diamond, can be obtained in the laboratory. However, diamonds need to go through a series of processes such as exploring diamond locations, mining diamonds, screening, cutting, and polishing before they are turned into fine diamonds and displayed to consumers, so the value between the two is actually not comparable at all.
Stay tuned with Momentwish to know more about Moissanite!